Thursday, February 9, 2017

My Favorite Films of 2016

Ranking favorite movies, especially after only one viewing, is kind of useless. Boiling down complex storytelling and artistic experiences to "I liked X better than Y" is pretty silly and misleading, especially as my opinion on all these movies might revise over the next few years. Some I might grow to love even more, some I might realize are not as great as I initially thought. Also, I still haven't seen several potentially awesome 2016 movies (Toni Erdmann, Elle, Cameraperson, Things to Come, Loving, etc).

But I like making these goofy lists anyways - because I'm a nerd and they're fun. Don't take it as a list of "the objectively best movies of 2016" or "most highly recommended movies of 2016", as your mileage may vary. They're just the ones that moved, excited and fascinated me most.

1. Silence (my review)

2. Love & Friendship (my brief review / UPDATE: wrote a full review)

3. Knight of Cups (my review)

 4. The Witch - possibly my favorite American horror film since The Shining. As thoughtful and artful as scary.

 5. Tale of Tales (my review)

 6. Cemetery of Splendor - another humbly mind-bending vision from Apichatpong Weerasethakul (aka 'Joe'). Casually blurs lines between past and present, mundane and magical, politics and folklore.

 7. Hail, Caesar! - a classic Hollywood tribute and critique, a Passion Play that is half-ironic and half-sincere, another lighthearted but deceptively thoughtful movie from the Coen brothers.

 8. Arrival - a parable on the value of patient communication, a drama about one mother's incredible love and sacrifice, a heady exploration of fate vs. free will and how language shapes perception, and a sci-fi spectacle starring majestic tentacle monsters!

 9. Moonlight - a coming-of-age story of unusual gentleness and dignity, about a young man who is given very little of either. Moments of grace surrounded by predictably constant heartbreak. The ending is luminous with hope. (UPDATE: wrote a full review. Also, after a second viewing, I would've rated this even higher on my list.)

 10. Paterson - another remarkably kind film, a look at the quiet life of a bus driver, poet, and husband. Its quirkier elements felt distracting on first look, but I suspect my appreciation might deepen on a second viewing. Sweet and meaningful either way.

Honorable Mentions:
  • The BFG
  • Certain Women
  • Everybody Wants Some!!
  • The Fits
  • Hell or High Water
  • La La Land
  • The Lobster
  • Our Little Sister
  • Right Now, Wrong Then
  • Rogue One
  • Sunset Song
  • Voyage of Time: The IMAX Experience

10 Great Performances (not ranked, and with the caveat that there are many acclaimed 2016 performances I haven't seen yet)
  • Amy Adams in Arrival
  • Mahershala Ali in Moonlight
  • Kate Beckinsale in Love & Friendship
  • Bebe Cave in Tale of Tales
  • Andrew Garfield in Silence
  • Alden Ehrenreich in Hail, Caesar!
  • Lily Gladstone in Certain Women
  • Jung Jae-Young in Right Now, Wrong Then
  • Trevante Rhodes in Moonlight
  • Anya Taylor-Joy in The Witch

No comments:

Post a Comment